Social media is a web-based platform which provide advantages us by sharing ideas, thoughts and information among the communities. It gives us quick electronic communication of contents such as articles, images, news and videos. There are various social media platforms like Face book, Whatsapp, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram etc.
People like to post pictures on Face book and instagram, whereas they are very likely to fond of watch and share videos on YouTube. On the other hand, they love to chat on Twitter and Whatsapp. We all use them to communicate and socialize globally as well as locally. The growth of social media since the last few years has modified the ways in which internet is experienced by people.
It gives people power of opening the world, sharing news as well as stay connected with everyone. Social networking includes a viral influence on the student’s lives because majority of social media users are students and they become addicted on this. Therefore they have been facing lack of concentration on their study as well as they show disobedient as well as arrogant behavior. So that it can be stated that like everything has a positive and negative side; social media also have the effect of the curse and boon.
Advantages of the social media
- It is a good tool for education, all the information one requires is just a click away. Students can educate themselves on various topics using social media.
- Social Media platforms help students to carry out research work as it becomes easy to do group discussion among the students even when they are far from each other.
- With the help of social media, the knowledge and awareness levels of people have increased. We can know and understand the issues of any part of this world.
- The economy has touched the new heights with the introduction of social media.
The new eCommerce is on the rise. People can buy and sell online. It has great economic benefits.
- Social media is helping people to access new job opportunities as many local business organizations recruits their employees through social media platforms.
Disadvantages of the social media
- Insecurity and lack of privacy protection are the main disadvantage of social media. With everything public on social platforms, the privacy of people could go manipulated for negative uses.
- The excessive use of internet has created a lot of problems, especially for youth. The problems like youth isolation, individualism and lack of interest in real life etc. are the most worrying problems created by social media.
- Many children have become victims of cyberbullying due to which they have suffered a lot.
- Nowadays, the youth has learnt to make cheating in exams through social media, instead of learning and studying, youth is dependent on social media to use as medium to copy in exams.
- Excessive use of social media also affects the physical and mental health of the human beings in a big way like stress, anxiety and sleeplessness.
- We cannot trust all the information available on the social media. Some information can be true whether some are not.
It has clarified that it is impossible to determine that the social media curse or boon. media have both advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the people how they use it. It is the most powerful tool today. It has revolutionized in human lives. Therefore, its power should be used wisely and sensible for the development, progress and prosperity of the human lives today. It has further been understood that we need to use this platform wisely and in a limited way so that we can make the most out of this platform.