What is a healthy lifestyle?
In earlier generations, check-ups were not so popular. People use to visit the doctor only when they were sick or ill. As people are more educated nowadays and take care of their own health, people are pre-emptively seeking medical advice on how to live a healthy lifestyle. They are trying to lower their risk of various body conditions or diseases by maintaining a healthy diet, weight, and a subsequent amount of physical activity on a daily basis.
Being healthy means eating a well-balanced diet of foods that help to maintain a suitable weight according to your body. It also means exercising and being outdoors for an appropriate amount of time. And there is a mental aspect too associated with the healthy lifestyle which means living a satisfying and fulfilling life that includes having a good sense of self, some sort of personally fulfilling work to do, be it via a career, extra curriculars or hobbies and maintain a strong social network.
Why do we need to visit the doctor?
Doctors are requesting that every people must get a regular check-up at a year interval to help them to stay in the best of their health. They are highlighting the importance of prevention, as a means to reduce the number of patients requiring medical help after.
A regular check-up can help you to find potential health issues before they become a problem. When you visit your doctor regularly, they will be able to detect the health conditions or diseases early. This early detection further gives you the best chance for getting the right treatment quickly, avoiding any complications. In terms of living a stronger and healthier life, getting the correct health services, screenings, and treatment that is very much important.
What are the benefits of a regular check-up?
- It will reduce your risk of getting sick.
- It will detect potentially life-threatening health conditions or diseases before they cause a problem.
- It will increase the chances for treatment and cure, which increases the odds of a good outcome.
- It will help you to reduce healthcare costs over time by getting rid of costly medical services.
- It will increase your lifespan and improve your overall health.
- By closely monitoring the existing condition of your health, it will limit the risk of worsening symptoms and complications.
- As you will form a good relationship with your primary care physician (PCP), advice and treatment will be more efficient.
- You will be updated with the new medical information or technologies that will be in practice.
How often should you get a check-up?
The recommendations regarding the number of routine check-ups are based on your age, current health status, and risk factors. Doctors generally recommend once every year if you are under the age of fifty and in good health and once you turn fifty you should get your check-up every six to eight months.
What should be included in your check-up?
During your annual check-up, your doctor evaluates your current health, review your past health and schedule further screening tests.
For men and women, an adult annual check-up should include an update of :
- Your medical history and family history.
- Your medication lists and allergies.
- Your vaccination and tests history.
- High blood pressure.
- Obesity, based on your body mass index (BMI).
- Tobacco use.
- Alcohol and drug mistake.
- HIV screening for adults, only ages from fifteen to sixty-five or anyone who is at high risk.
- Hepatitis C for anyone who was born between 1945 and 1965.
- Colorectal cancer starting from the age of 50.
- Lung cancer with a yearly low-dose CT scan for adults ages fifty-five to eighty who currently smoke or have smoked in the last fifteen years.
Being in a healthy life is very important in todays life especially due to all the impurities and pollution that revolving around us. You should definitely go for a routine check-up once a year and try to stay positive in your life. It will help you to stay fit both physically and mentally.
For further information, do follow !!