Today is World Blood Donor Day. Every year on 14th June, the entire world used to observe this day. According to the information, event related to World Blood Donor Day, was organised for the first time in 2005, by the joint initiative taken of the World Health Organization, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, in order to race and awareness regarding requirement of safe blood and blood products, and also to thanks the volunteer for donating their blood and saving lives of thousands of people the World Blood Donor Day is organized. On the specific day i.e., World Blood Donor Day, we are going to reveal a few are known information regarding it.
We are going to talk about what exactly blood means, what are the fresh blood available, what is donating blood means and who can donate blood. Similarly, we are going to talk about the history of celebrating this specific day, theme chosen for this year and many unknown things related to it. So read on till the end together some information regarding World Blood Donor Day which is going to help you in the future too.
What is blood?
Blood is one of the most important body fluid which actually circulate in the circulatory system of humans and other vertebrates that helps in delivery some necessary and important nutrients an oxygen to different cells of our body and also responsible for transporting different waste materials or products away from those cells. Blood is generally made up of liquid and solids. The Liquid part is often known as plasma with contains water, salts, and protein. Around 50% of blood present in our body is made up of Plasma. And the solid part of the blood contains platelets, red blood cells and white blood cells.
What are the types of blood available?
Human blood can be classified to four types : A, B, AB and O. Which can actually be determined by the genes you inherit from your parents. Each group of blood can be classified into RhD+ and RhD- which means there are total 8 blood groups available, they are A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, O+, O-.
What is the process of donating blood?
The person who is willing to donate their blood needs to follow the process mentioned below.
1. At the beginning don’t know needs to feel up the registration form and provides his consent of donating blood. This might take around 10 minutes.
2. After that doctor is going to do a check up and may ask questions related to your history and life style. He is going to check up of temperature, blood pressure, pulse and haemoglobin. This might take around 5 minutes approximately.
3. Mainly the Phlebotomist draws unit (350ml/450ml) of blood. Every time a new sterile needle and after the usage of the needle it is being destroyed. This process is going to take less than 8 Minutes.
4. After donating blood the volunteer or incharge is going to provide you a few snacks and drinks which is going to provide you a refreshment as well as going to give you strength. This is probably done for around 10 minutes.
Who can donate blood?
Not every person is capable of giving blood nor they are allowed to do so, in order to donate blood you need to fulfill the criteria mentioned below :
1. The age of the person must be between 18 and 65. Though in some country person aged 16 or above can donate blood after fullfiling a few criteria.
2. He or she must have weight around 50 kg. But still in some country 45 kg is applicable for donating blood.
3. You must have leading a healthy life while donating blood. If you are suffering from any kinds of disease such as cold, fever and flu you can’t donate blood. Even if you have done anybody tattoo or done any body piercing you cannot donate blood for the next 6 months.
4. Pregnant women or the women at their breast feeding stage should not donate their blood as it can harm them as well as their baby too.
History of World Blood Donor Day :
Probably on June 14, nobel prize winner and scientist Karl Landsteiner was born. He has got Nobel Prize for finding the ABO blood group system. This specific day i.e., World Blood Donor Day is observed on the birthday of Karl Landsteiner, who has discovered various groups of blood. This discovery has made Karl Landsteiner to win the Nobel Prize in the year 1930.
What is the World Blood Donor day Theme chosen for this year?
In order to observe World Blood Donor day, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced, ‘Donating blood is an act of solidarity. Join the effort and save lives,’ is going to be theme for this year. According to the information, for this particular year 2022 Mexico is the country who is going to play the host role of this event. Mexico is going observe it in its National Blood Centre in Mexico City.
Hope this was enough helpful as we have provided brief information regarding today’s special day i.e., World Blood Donor Day. Being a responsible citizen you might also donate blood in order to help the needy people. Let us together make a vow that we will also donate blood according to our capability.